Oak Lodge Care Home, 45 Freemantle Common, Bitterne, Southampton, SO19 7NG
It's the small things that can often make the biggest difference. At Bupa Care Homes, we know it's our privilege to care for people - supporting them to live with dignity and independence. Right now, we're looking for a caring and organised individual to join us as an Assistant Chef at Oak Lodge care home in Bitterne to help us be the positive difference to our resident's lives.
Working hours and salary
£9.89 - £10.48 per hour DOE
Sociable working hours: 37 hours per week
What your typical day involves
- Creating a varied and nutritional menu in line with dietary needs and preferences
- Training and managing the kitchen team in prepping, cooking and serving of food
- Managing all mandatory paperwork including: adhering to COSHH and HACCP guidelines, company policies and procedures, budgets, managing orders and deliveries
- Catering for special events or seasonal activities, such as summer fetes, Christmas parties and birthdays (as required)
Who we're looking for
A passion for cooking with previous experience working in a fresh food kitchen and relevant hygiene certificates. You want to create and deliver an excellent dining experience at each meal and make our residents feel at home. Open to new ideas, you'll have an innovative approach to cooking whilst always adhering to high standards. You'll enjoy communicating with others and you'll cherish the little moments with our residents, sharing your love of food with them.
What's in it for you?
- Comprehensive induction, on-going training and development, access to internal apprenticeship schemes
- Your DBS Check (£40) paid for
- Access to Wagestream - an app-based service that offers you the choice to be in control of when you access your earnings*
- NEST workplace pension, life assurance & bereavement support
- 28 days annual leave (inclusive of statutory bank holidays)
- Hot meal provided on a 12-hour shift
- Refer a friend bonus scheme
- Uniform provided
- Health & wellbeing tools; including Be Me App, Healthy Minds, Gym Pass & discounted health assessments
- Shopping Discounts (via Xexec)
- Cash plan (after 18 months service) giving you the ability to claim on more everyday items such as dental, optical and private prescriptions
- Free flu vaccine
*Only available to permanent employees where HealthRoster is used.
About our home
Set in Southampton, near Bitterne Village, less than a mile from Bitterne Station, Oak Lodge provides residential, nursing and palliative care for those living with dementia and Parkinson's. The home has a real family feel, where the team are passionate about providing person centred care, championing dignity and independence - organising a wide variety of activities meaning there's no typical day here. As part of the team, you're supported from day one to learn, develop and encouraged to progress.
Who we are
As a leading healthcare group, we run care homes, retirement villages, health centres, dental centres and hospitals all over the world. As well as providing insurance to over 16 million people. We're a big company but no matter what business area you're in, our purpose is simple - helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
And we have belief in you to help us achieve it.
Bupa is committed to ensuring that every applicant is assessed for employment, promotion and development solely based on personal merit and qualifications, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.