Working as part of the Customer Programmes team, the data engineer will collaborate with Customer Programmes' data analysts and data scientists, and the Data Factory teams to contribute to the acquisition of Customer Programmes' data requirements, documenting them according to the required standards utilizing the prescribed methods and Azure data tools, and creating pipelines into and out of the Azure Data Warehouse in order to contribute to our company centralised data platform and provide the base for Customer Programmes' analytics and insights.
Develop, construct, test and maintain architectures such as data pipelines and the Customer Programmes Data Warehouse. Leverage industry best practices while delivering changes, such as code repositories, automated builds, testing and releases. Ensure data scientists and analysts can pull relevant data sets for their analyses. Implement data pipelines to connect operational systems, data for analytics and BI systems. Re-engineer manual data flows to enable scaling and repeatable use.
Develop data set processes for data modelling, mining and production. Work closely with data architects (to determine what data management systems are appropriate) and data analysts and scientists (to determine which data are needed for analysis). Provide clean, usable data to the business through the data platform in accordance with governance.
- Manages the investigation of corporate data requirements, documenting them according to the required standards utilising the prescribed methods and
- Implement data flows to connect operational systems, data for analytics and BI systems. Re-engineer manual data flows to enable scaling and repeatable
- Work closely with relevant parties to i.e. data architects (to determine what data management systems are appropriate).
- Work with data analysts and scientists (to determine what data is needed for analysis). Tackle problems associated with database integration and unstructured data sets alongside batch vs real-time architectu
- In liaison with the Data Factory functions, contributes to the development and maintenance of corporate data standards.
- Incident investigation and management related to Azure Data Warehouse functions.
- Strong technical process understanding regardless of technology.
- Ability to work in an agile framework and collaboratively with others.
- Analytical capability per creation of stored procedures.
- Strong technical skills in Devops, SQL, and PowerShell.
- Strong Software delivery methods and knowledge.
- Efficient in building ETL processes for enterprise solutions.
- Preferable – Training or certifications in key industry data product technologies (i.e., ETL Tools, flexible languages like python.
- Preferable – Azure Data Factory experience.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km’s of pipes, to keep taps flowing and toilets flushing
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.