Who are we?
Abel & Cole has pioneered organic, ethical and sustainable food delivery for over 30 years. Doing things better is our bread and butter; from saving over 60 million plastic bags by using reusable boxes for our food deliveries, to finding alternatives to plastic long before it hit the headlines. We are forever challenging ourselves to find the most positive way to do business and want everyone to eat organic because it's one way to save the future. It's these values that enabled us to become B Corp certified; an optional audit we've gone through to recognise how we put people and planet before profit, as well as help us find room for further improvement.
We're looking for more people to join our team of over 600, to share our passion for doing the right thing even bigger and better than we do already. In a fast paced and competitive market, we know it's our people who make the difference. We've learnt how important it is to recognise, develop and promote from within; and that trusting people lets them come up with the best ideas and that helps our entrepreneurial spirit to thrive.
Want to see more?
We require a combined FLT/LGV2 driver to drive our 18t lorry between our sites on Walworth Industrial Estate, primarily loading and unloading stock and supplies to the units. This position is key to the smooth running of our supply chain. The role is primarily a forklift driver and secondly a driver.
- Primarily this role involves FLT operation of loading and unloading of pallets from our 18t Intersite lorries.
- Transport stock safely and carefully between our sites on Walworth Industrial Estate.
- Drive a forklift to load and unload stock between our sites on Walworth Industrial Estate.
- Storing and retrieving of goods in areas of warehouses.
- Working to a timetable to ensure stock is delivered and collected in a timely manner.
- Maintain a smooth running of supply chain.
- Pick up goods from suppliers on an ad-hoc basis
- Keeping work area tidy.
- Performing other related tasks which could involve using specialised equipment such as pump trucks and hydraulic ramps.
- Reporting of any damage to FLT.
- Act as an ambassador for our B Corp values: make all decisions with our social and environmental impact in mind and look for opportunities, no matter how small, to use our business as a force for good.
- Valid certified pass of HSE (RTITB) approved FLT training course, re-test within 36 months.
Skills and Experience:
- Ensure the whole process from unloading the inter-site through to collation of rounds, to the loading of vans is completed in accordance with both company procedures and H&S procedure.
- Implement & maintain company standards of hygiene, housekeeping and health and safety in the various areas of the depot.
- Ensure adequate plans are in place to cope in the event of an unexpected problem, e.g., lorry break down, unplanned staff absences etc.
- Take responsibility for maintaining a friendly and supportive effective working environment.
- Ensuring safe operation of FLT and control of FLT keys to ensure no unauthorised usage.
- Engage with all picking and packing activities
- Undertake any training and utilise as and when required in daily activities.
- Ensure any damage to product or property is reported and recorded.
- Daily checking and maintenance of vehicle.
- Reporting of any FLT related accidents and RTC's in the required manner.
- LGV Class 2 licence and Tacho card essential.
- A valid DCPC card is a requirement.
- Experienced Forklift truck driver would be desirable but not essential, as training will be given.
- Outstanding communication and co-ordinating skills to liaise with all other departments.
- Ability to see the ‘bigger picture' and understand minute detail
- Excellent Health and Safety awareness
- Ability to work under pressure as an individual and as part of a structured logistics team
- Have a ‘can do' attitude
What we offer
- 28 days inclusive of bank holidays (FTE)
- A free box of fruit and veg every week (It's pretty delicious!)
- Up to 35% discount on A&C products.
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Grants for team sports.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- There are three shift patterns: Sunday - Thursday.
- 07:30 – 15:30
- 08:00 – 16:00
- 16:00 – 00:00
Abel & Cole promotes equal opportunities for all employees. We want our employees to feel they can be themselves at work and develop their talents to the full. Members of staff are expected to take personal responsibility for keeping our workplace free from discrimination, harassment and bullying - a place where everyone is treated fairly and respectfully.
To support Abel & Cole's commitment to inclusion and diversity, we ask that you remove all personal details from your CV. This includes removal of home address, D.O.B and place of education.