Deal Advisory Tax - Analyst, Assistant Manager and Manager
KPMGs Deal Advisory Tax team provide market leading services to a number of top-tier and mid-tier financial services and private equity houses, including houses with a UK, European and Global focus.
The Deal Advisory Tax team is embedded within the wider Financial Services Group and provides advisory services across the whole deal spectrum including company/sell-side vendor assist, refinancing and due diligence projects, to buy-side due diligence and structuring.
They help clients understand historical tax issues and structure transactions, with a continuous focus on maximising value throughout the investment cycle. Working collaboratively across the Globe, their international M&A projects often involve advice on multiple taxes and work streams; including corporate income tax, VAT, employment related securities, transfer taxes/stamp duties and payroll.
The team work on some of the most high profile deals in the sector, in what is a fast-paced, challenging and rewarding environment.
Delivering quality service
Individuals will assist in the delivery of high quality service. They will manage their own time, plan and organise work tasks, monitor progress and meet deadlines. Among other responsibilities the individual will:
- Perform detailed analysis of the tax numbers in the financial statements and other primary documents e.g. tax computations and returns.
- Collaborate with other UK and overseas tax teams to provide input into due diligence and structuring deliverables, critically analysing and challenging their input.
- Demonstrate up-to-date knowledge in respect of developments in the field of UK and international tax e.g BEPS, Corporate Interest Restriction, Anti-Hybrids, FX etc.
- Understand financial models and analyse underlying tax assumptions.
- Provide visualised output (e.g. tables, charts, graphs, timelines etc.).
- Read and analyse due diligence reports, highlighting key issues and articulating the commercial impact of these to the client/senior members of the team.
Team work, coaching and developing people
Individuals will be key team members working on large, complex assignments and will lead smaller transactions where Individuals will work closely with Partners/Directors and develop junior team members. The individual will:
- Coach and manage junior staff members, providing constructive feedback when requested and liaising junior staff with senior team members.
- Design and monitor the distribution and allocation of tasks for each project.
- Perform initial review of the tasks performed by junior team members and KPMG Global Support function.
- Become a key KPMG point of contact for clients, legal advisers and other KPMG teams in order to facilitate effective delivery.
Interaction with counterparties to a transaction
Individuals will be required to build and sustain relationships with clients/potential clients and other counterparties (e.g. legal advisers, overseas firms) for the benefit of the Global KPMG network. The individual will:
- Lead/participate in conference calls and face-to-face meetings with targets’ management, clients and bidders.
- Critically review and analyse information from Sellers and input from overseas offices to assess historical/structural tax issues.
- Assist KPMG Partners and Directors in market research and winning new work.
- Attend networking and peer-to-peer knowledge sharing events to build and personal relationships.
- Finalist or Qualified CTA or ACA/CA or equivalent;
- Ambitious, driven and a keen interest in Financial Services, Infrastructure and / or Private Equity;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong UK corporate tax knowledge and awareness of other tax and accounting areas;
- Strong analytical skills and a commercial approach to resolving issues and providing advice;
- Excellent project management skills, including ability to work as part of a team and to show initiative to drive projects forward;
- Ability to build and maintain client relationships;
- Be proficient in the use of Excel and PowerPoint;
- Ability to develop as a coach and lead staff.