Title: Media Planning Director - Google Hardware
Discipline: Media Planning
Essence is a global data and measurement-driven media agency whose mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world. Clients include Google, L'Oreal, Nando's, BT, EE, Argos, Universal Pictures and the Financial Times. The agency is more than 1,700 people strong, manages $4B in annualized media spend and deploys campaigns in 106 markets via offices in Bengaluru, Chicago, Delhi, Düsseldorf, Jakarta, London, Los Angeles, Melbourne, Minneapolis, Mumbai, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Seoul, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo and Toronto. Part of GroupM, Essence is majority-owned by WPP, the world’s leading creative transformation group.
Visit essenceglobal.com for more information and follow us on Twitter at @essenceglobal
About the team
Media Planning are experts on the paid media landscape and how consumers interact with it. We architect and steward holistic media plans throughout their lifecycle, owning the creation of overall plans, cross-channel budget allocation, in flight cross-channel optimisation & reporting and post-campaign analysis. We are our clients’ key contacts for a unified view across all aspects of their campaigns, narrating the story of the campaign from planning recommendation through to PCA
About the role
We’re looking for a Media Planning Director to own the leadership of Google’s Hardware products namely Pixel. This role will be one of the senior Media Planning leads for this pod, as such we're looking for someone who can unite a team across different products, drive thought leadership, and be a point of contact for our clients.
Ideally we’re looking for someone with experience running both large Brand and Direct Response activity. You will report into the Senior Planning lead and will have direct line management responsibilities too. You will be expected to work closely with other departments such as Client Services, Media Activation, Analytics and Strategy to deliver best in class campaigns.
The Media Planning Director will work closely with the Planning and Client Service lead in the pod and be accountable for the quality of Media Planning work being delivered to clients. They are ultimately responsible for the media plan recommendation, weekly reporting review and campaign PCA, they work with the team to ensure communication to the client is clear, compelling and of a high standard. They will foster strong external relationships and keep a close eye on the market to ensure new opportunities and research are reviewed and implemented for the benefit of their clients.
Some of the things we’d like you to do:
- Oversee and quality assure all deliverables produced by junior team members, particularly ensuring the high quality delivery of tactical response presentations, in-flight reporting, insightful post campaign analyses and clear and considered briefings to Activation.
- Take a lead role in client presentations, delegating to the team as appropriate.
- Take responsibility for campaign performance against intended outcomes.
- Collaborate closely with the Strategy team, where applicable.
- Collaborate with the Analytics team to develop client Learning Agendas.
- Work with Data Strategy to tie first party data into planning.
- Drive internal thought leadership and team process/workflow enhancement, increasing work quality, making us more efficient, and improving Essential satisfaction.
- Set the quality standard for one or more planning deliverables per year, improving them over time via team/client feedback and incorporation of evolving external context..
- Line management of 1-2 direct reports and support a wider team with career development and Essential satisfaction.
- Provide awareness and recognition for jobs well done.
- Knowledge of B2C marketing would be preferential.
A bit about yourself:
- 5-7 years experience in digital advertising.
- Strong knowledge of media landscape, and a good relationship with vendors.
- Proven experience in media at Director level, gaining solid understanding of the principles of marketing and advertising, as well as running and motivating teams..
- An active interest in digital media and how digital innovation is driving change.
- Ability to work in a team environment that promotes collaboration; but also capable of working independently when needed.
- Knowledge of 3rd party research tools and how they impact planning decisions.
- A strong understanding of the Google stack particularly Search
- Exceptional verbal & written communication skills - ability to think on your feet.
- Strong analytical skills - ability to analyze raw data, identify true insight and develop actionable recommendations. A natural affinity with numbers is a must.
- A self-motivated individual who is well organized and can manage multiple publisher conversations at the same time