At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About The Department
Emerging Technologies & Incubation (ETI) is where new and bold products are built and released within Cloudflare. Rather than being constrained by the structures which make Cloudflare a massively successful business, we are able to leverage them to deliver entirely new tools and products to our customers. Cloudflare’s edge and network make it possible to solve problems at massive scale and efficiency which would be impossible for almost any other organization.
What you’ll do
You’ll be leading a new team focused on exploring new ways to bring secure connectivity to our customers (and future customers).
We are working on starting many new initiatives around the Internet of things. We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join Cloudflare, in charge of a new project. You will lead a team of passionate, talented engineers building the systems that decentralize applications deployed on millions of sites. You will play an active part in shaping the product and team that will build solutions for the Internet of things. You will make sure our company hits our ambitious engineering goals. You will change the way people build applications.
You bring a passion for meeting business needs by building technical, innovative solutions. You excel in understanding how big-picture goals inform technical details. You thrive in a fast-paced, iterative engineering environment and have experience delivering scalable distributed systems. Most importantly, you have a track record of having past teams respect you as both a technical leader and manager.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least 4 years of experience building and leading distributed engineering teams in the software industry.
- Comfortable leading and hiring a team that builds the backend bits and frontend widgets
- Excel at planning, creating teams, and overseeing execution to meet commitments and deliver with predictability
- Comfortable building developer-loved APIs that scale
- Demonstrate a track record of leading a team, including hiring, onboarding, and professional development. You inspire your team to reach higher. You’re as good at explaining “why” as you are “how.”
- Experience implementing tools, processes, internal instrumentation, methodologies, and resolving blockages inside and outside your team.
- Comfortable managing teams/projections with tight deadlines and short release cycles
- A willingness and ability to ship experiments and rapidly iterate. Getting our customers involved earlier in the process is key to how we build great products.
- You have experience in (one or more of) securing Internet of Things devices, L3/L4 networking (BGP, GRE, GTP), and/or distributed systems design.
- You’ve built systems that speak HTTP, MQTT, WebSockets or other major Internet protocols
- You understand the trade-offs that organizations building modern IoT devices have to make when it comes to hardware resource utilization, network bandwidth, and cost.
- Experience writing, deploying and scaling applications built in Rust, Go, TypeScript and/or that compile to WebAssembly.