McMurtry Automotives mission is to bring proper engagement and emotion to driving electric performance cars. This will be achieved by taking a completely bespoke approach to vehicle concepts and execution, first with a track going Hypercar to explore the limits of physics, then using what we have developed to apply to totally unique road cars. They will all have unrivalled performance by focusing on dynamic agility though lightweight design, innovate packaging and system integration, aerodynamic excellence, and powertrain efficacy.
We are expanding and therefore seeking a hands on Mechanical Design Engineer who is excited to own the design, build, test and implementation of complete assemblies. One week you’ll be designing your assembly, the next assembling the first prototype and validating it with a rig test. Then at the next track test you’ll be there, to see it first run, troubleshoot, tune and complete the feedback loop. A rare and varied opportunity in modern high end motorsport/automotive style roles.
The likely candidate will be someone who has at least 4 years experience in a high end motorsport design, who is as comfortable wielding a spanner as they are a space mouse. Equally, engineers with decades of experience are encouraged to apply as we have such a variety of interesting systems to design and develop, there will be projects to match a mix of peoples experience and interests.
A bit more about the team, company and the car that is in the public domain
Our engineering team is made up of people from Formula One and high end automotive backgrounds, who appreciate the design freedom that working in a small, agile team gives. We are big on clean sheet design and do composite, mechanical, fluid dynamics and electrical design in house, so having an appreciation of each and an interest in at least one is important.
We are based in the Cotswolds between Stroud and Bristol (GL12 7PJ, to check your commute). So it is out of the Motorsport Valley but in a beautiful part of the world. If you’ve been looking to move to this picturesque area, then this job will offer you the engineering challenges and fast pace without the work-life balance sacrifice of working in Formula One.
It is worth introducing our founder: Sir David McMurtry. His vision and drive to do things differently and break new ground are an inspiration we are all proud to contribute to. From being the youngest Deputy Chief Engineer at Rolls Royce working on Concordes engines, to founding and building a FTSE250 listed engineering empire of his own; Sir David is recognised globally for his contributions to aerospace, industrial measurement and factory automation. Together we are now realising his long held desire to innovate in the high performance automotive sector, with cars bearing his families name.
The halo car we are developing is an exclusive, collectible world beating track special to demonstrate our technology in its most extreme form. It will be pursuing potent performance records over the next two years, in the UK and abroad. After that, we will produce extremely compelling, compact high performance road cars using the same cutting edge engineering philosophy.
The Spéirling, the halo car, is a completely bespoke electric track vehicle. Example areas of the car that you might get involved with as a Mechanical Design Engineer are hydraulic actuators for the semi-active suspension and other systems, high speed rotating fan assemblies for the downforce-on-demand system, the bespoke electric power steering assembly, drivers controls and environment through to composite components, workshop tooling or cooling systems. The variety is very refreshing. You will be supported to learn about the different systems with the goal of you owning a set of assemblies as soon as possible.
We hope you want to join us for this exiting journey.
As a member of the McMurtry Automotive mechanical design team, you will be responsible
for the concept development, technical design and validation of structural and non-structural systems for a track and high-performance road vehicles. You will have a minimum of four years’ experience in a high level automotive/motorsport environment.
- Creative flair in designing components within a very tight packaging environment
- Confidence in taking ownership of a whole system and seeing it through from initial concept, design, test plan creation and system validation
- Excellent CAD skills (NX preferred)
- Experience around designing rotating machinery such as transmission systems/e-motors
- Ability to carry out functional analysis by calculation & FEA
- Excellent knowledge of materials, machining, casting and additive processes for low volume manufacture
- Excellent knowledge of GD&T
- Prompt investigations and resolution of faults, as required
- Bachelor or Master graduate in Mechanical/Automotive/Aerospace Engineering
- A basic understanding of High Voltage vehicle systems and safety is desirable
- Experience of composite design, tooling design and manufacturing techniques desirable
- Hybrid working is available, nonetheless it is expected that you will be in the office at least 3 days a week at GL12 7PJ. This enables great collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team seeking to achieve ambitious and challenging project aims.
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Hybrid working (min. 80% from office)
- Statutory Pension