Wefarm is the world’s largest platform connecting the small-scale farming community Millions of farmers, retailers, and brands come together on Wefarm to grow their businesses
Small-scale farming is one of the largest and most important industries in the world, with over one billion people globally involved in it We’re working towards connecting this community so small-scale farmers can gain a better position in global agricultural supply chains. Some of the world’s leading VCs are backing us on this mission, including True Ventures in Silicon Valley.
Since our launch in 2015, we’ve grown to serve over two million farmers across Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. Our platform has facilitated the (free) exchange of over 18 million messages to share knowledge, generated over $5 million in marketplace sales, and sold nearly half a million products.
So far, we’ve partnered with 100+ brands to give our members fair prices on the quality products they are looking for.
Our next milestone is to have 100 million farmers benefiting from Wefarm Join us and be part of our mission to build an ecosystem for global agriculture, with the farmer at the centre..
You operate within a cross-functional squad and work very closely with a Tech Lead, Product Manager and Designer to make sure we're solving challenges that will bring the greatest value to our members. You help design product & UX tests that give us the data we need to bring learnings into our scalable solutions. You propose innovative solutions, help steer the squad to the most impactful solutions and work with the other Engineers to drive their implementation, maintenance and support.
You will be held accountable for the success of the technology and the quality of the engineering behind the products being developed and focus on the following outcomes
Outcome 1: Squad goals are achieved through:
- Understanding the squad OKRs and priorities
- Clear and consistent communication and collaboration
- Working with the other Engineers to drive rapid delivery
- Building test results into our scalable solutions
- A pragmatic approach to project agility
Outcome 2: Quality technical execution
- Produce clean well documented idiomatic code
- Makes sure the technical design is simple and scalable
- Comfortable using Git
- An attention to detail
You should apply if you:
- Are driven to create the most innovative, impactful products and get them into the hands of our members
- Have experience or desire to be within a cross-functional team in an Agile environment
- Understand how to use data to inform key product and technical decisions
- Have a bias towards delivery
- Are comfortable working in an environment of rapid growth, constant change, and uncertainty
- Bring a positive energy to your team and a passion for tech-for-good, and improving other people’s lives
- Are proficient in Clojure, Kafka, relational databases and developing web applications
- Communicate and articulate yourself effectively
- Enjoy learning new things
- Are a problem solver
- Believe Lego should be shared
This isn't for you if
- You can't operate without top-down direction. You'll be expected to determine the highest impact areas to work on, collaborating with your squad and manager to ensure there's alignment.
- You bring an oversized ego. Our decisions focus on what is right, not who is right.
- Or if you're not comfortable with ambiguity, don't have speed as a habit or are uncomfortable with changing org structures and squads every 6 months (at least)
- You aren't able to align behind Wefarm's culture and values