Senior Director of Engineering - Knowledge Platform (London/Hybrid)
Do you want to help the world of research take high-value decisions with confidence?
Would you like to take ownership for the technical vision and strategy of our Research Knowledge Platform?
About our Team
At Elsevier, we’re helping researchers and healthcare professionals’ advance science and improve outcomes for the benefit of society. We do this by facilitating insights and critical decision-making for customers across the global research and health ecosystems. In everything we publish, we uphold the highest standards of quality and integrity at scale to ensure value to our customers and we bring that same rigor to our analytical solutions.
About the Role
In this role, you will lead engineering teams developing the Knowledge Platform for research data. The platform covers search capabilities, knowledge graphs, recommendation systems, taxonomies, subject classifiers and research indicators – all serving various research products. Our mission is to build best in class search & discovery tools and experience for researchers, research leaders and corporates. Our stack has Java/Scala as primary development languages, Elasticsearch, Neo4j as persistent storage, data science / machine learning algorithms to enhance our sematic search & recommendation capabilities and we use AWS as our cloud vendor.
- Providing technical vision and strategy for engineering teams to build the future of our Knowledge Platform
- Partnering with Product Management and engineering leads to create and deliver platform capabilities that enable customers to discover, access and analyse knowledge about research.
- Building cohesive, high-functioning teams that thrive in an environment of trust, respect, inclusion and collaboration
- Developing and growing talent through effective mentoring, coaching, succession planning and retention strategies for key talent
- Have an impressive background in software engineering and technical leadership experience
- Show advanced knowledge and detailed understanding of modern information retrieval, natural language processing, and search and discovery technology
- Bring multiple years of experience in managing managers and technical teams with data and/or platform focus
- Have exposure to large-scale distributed systems, server-side engineering, data analytics or ML applications
- Demonstrate the ability to review and critique engineering design and architectural decisions
- Be a natural communicator with an ability to engage, influence and build relationships with stakeholders, cross-functional teams and customers
- Have a passion and curiosity to learn and contribute to the Research community
Work in a way that works for you
We promote a healthy work/life balance across the organisation. With an average length of service of 9 years, we are confident that we offer an appealing working prospect for our people. With numerous wellbeing initiatives, shared parental leave, study assistance and sabbaticals, we will help you meet your immediate responsibilities and your long-term goals.
- Working remotely from home and in our London office in a hybrid style
- Working flexible hours - flexing the times you work in the day
Working with us
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to help you succeed. Here, you will find an inclusive, agile, collaborative, innovative and fun environment, where everyone has a part to play. Regardless of the team you join, we promote a diverse environment with co-workers who are passionate about what they do, and how they do it.
Working for you
At Elsevier, we know that your wellbeing and happiness are key to a long and successful career. These are some of the benefits we are delighted to offer:
- Generous holiday allowance with the option to buy additional days
- Health screening, eye care vouchers and private medical benefits
- Wellbeing programs
- Life assurance
- Access to a competitive contributory pension scheme
- Long service awards
- Save As You Earn share option scheme
- Travel Season ticket loan
- Maternity, paternity and shared parental leave
- Access to emergency care for both the elderly and children
- RECARES days, giving you time to support the charities and causes that matter to you
- Access to employee resource groups with dedicated time to volunteer
- Access to extensive learning and development resources
- Access to employee discounts via Perks at Work