Engineering at Fonoa
Engineering plays a very central part in the business.
As a company with ambitions to be a world-class API solution for all things tax, we value quality over quantity when building, and we care about creating software that is scalable and maintainable, on which our customers and daily users can rely.
Some pointers about our engineering culture:
- Engineers are given problems to solve, rather than features to build.
- We always try to understand the customer's needs before thinking about implementation details.
- Engineers are owners of their past, present and future; architecture, tools, coding, testing, deployment, operations and scaling
- We work in lean, small teams. We co-own the product roadmap with product managers
- We chose collaboration, compassion and trust over individualism and politics
- We prefer innovation, constant iteration and trust over competition and perfect solutions.
- We support each other, are kind by nature, and give as much feedback to all improve as professionals.
- We break down complex problems and always seek to find simplest solutions.
- We take quality seriously and factor it into everything we do.
- We are comfortable with change, either in priorities, goals and deadlines. We see this more as an opportunity than a hurdle. We are comfortable with challenging the status quo and pushing for change.
- We seek those looking to make a serious impact, and are excited about working in a high growth startup.
- We ship, fast, continuously, and iteratively, learning on each step.
- We are data informed. And are ok with finding the data when it’s missing.
We have a suite of API products that automate tax-related workflows for any internet company. Those products are Lookup, Tax, Invoicing, and Reporting.
We may discover novel customer needs as we learn, and spin up new products as needed.
Our API docs
For you as an engineer, API documentation is probably an important part when considering a new career move. Thanks to the API docs, you can recognize how API works and how it is structured.
Please, visit our API documentation and learn more about our API endpoints and how to use them - https://docs.fonoa.com/.
Our Tech Stack
Fonoa has a suite of API products that automate tax-related workflows for any internet company. Check them out below:
- For backend, we build in C#, .NET, Node and Go
- For frontend, we use ReactJS and Typescript
- For persistence we are mostly using MongoDB
- We use Azure and GCP for our cloud services
- We manage our infrastructure with Terraform, Kubernetes CRDs, ArgoCD and DataDog.
“As an engineer, I am following a product through its lifecycle, from ideation to delivery and support which gives a lot of exposure to the technology, and customer needs. This allows me to learn to improve both myself and the product constantly.” - Philip Beel, Engineering Manager
What you will be doing:
- Help us solve the hard problem of taxes, by moving complexity away from the customer.
- Work closely with Product and Design to build delightful experiences when interacting with our products, via both API's and web applications.
- Build upon our design system using a component driven model to compose complex and accessible interfaces.
- Collaborate in API design and apply best practices to create a consistent customer experience.
- Own every step of the software lifecycle from development and testing, to deployment and monitoring.
- Apply continuous learning to analyse and understand how customers use our products.
You would be a great fit if:
- You are fully proficient in English. Written and spoken, as we are a bunch from around the world, but we work in English.
- You have a strong sense of ownership, you care about what you build, and that you are building the right thing that serves your customers.
- You don’t just spot problems, you fix them, even when that means stepping outside your domain, in order to reach a successful conclusion.
- You’re a builder at heart, you like the opportunity of having tons of exposure, making things work for a company long term, and have an entrepreneurial attitude for anything that comes your way.
If you feel you don’t have the full experience we’re looking for but feel you could be a bit fit, are willing to learn, do apply anyway! We are trying to build a diverse and inclusive team.
- We offer a competitive, above market rate, base salary for this position and remain open to a specific range depending on candidates experience.
- Attractive equity to keep you positively incentivized.
We are builders at heart
We are a collective of independent and deep thinkers.
We are curious, committed, and humble.
We work with dedicated, open-minded people from all backgrounds who bring in their different perspectives to help us on our mission to make taxes simple.
We’re passionate about making a real impact.
We work remotely
We’re building a fully distributed team. We like writing to communicate when meetings are pointless and meet when it matters. This allows us to work flexibly, efficiently, and focus on achieving goals.
We focus on deep work and put our time where it matters the most, decisions.
We trust you to work on your terms. You decide how you work and where you work.
You have ownership over your work that directly influences the roots of our company.
We make taxes simple
We are on a mission to eliminate the manual work when dealing with taxes on online transactions.
We have ambitious goals to make taxes simple, automated, borderless, and accessible for internet businesses around the world.
- 25 days annual leave (plus any local public holidays).
- Top tech gear and flexible budget to build your ideal remote office.
- Bi-weekly lunches paid by Fonoa.
- An unlimited budget for learning is on us. Whether you want to attend a conference, do a course or purchase books or tools, we want to support you as much as we can
- Company offsite 2x per year in attractive locations.
- A book club where you can order any book you would need or like to read
- Weekly fitness sessions with our online trainer
Our ways of working
- Remote work and async, work from anywhere in the world.
- Co-working spaces if you want to switch things up.
- Option to meet team members regularly to do creative work and bond in person.
- The best idea wins; we’re all ears when it comes to ways to do things better.
- Frequent visits to virtual Fonoa HQ and our Fonoa island on Mibo.
- Product first culture
- We are backed by leading VC firms who have invested in many successful companies (Index Ventures and Omers Ventures)
- The size of the market and the opportunity we have is massive, and we’re well placed to be disrupting it.
- Flat hierarchy, open, honest, and feedback-driven principles.
Our take on equal opportunities
Fonoa gives equal opportunities to everyone. We look at individuals for what they bring to the organization and for who they are as people regardless of ethnicity, race, and background.
We currently have over 20 nationalities in our team, we’re continuing to build a diverse team as we want to work with the best people, from all over the world.
Our Hiring Process
We see hiring as a human process. A two-way conversation to see if there is a good fit between you and us. As a startup growing quickly, we also like to keep things streamlined, and currently, our process won’t include a live task, whiteboards or technical assessments.
An idea of your hiring journey with us:
- Meeting with Recruiting to introduce each other and explore mutual interests.
- Follow up via email to cover other questions in a written manner
- 1 hour conversation with engineering to get to know each other and see if you would be excited to work together.
- An invitation to a work sample that would allow you to show us what you can do. This would be asynchronous.
- A 30m call with our CTO to get to know each other.
- Final 1 hour conversation with our co-founders.