About the Role...
Permutive is expanding our engineering team further and we are looking for a Scala Engineer to join our Edge team.
As a Scala engineer on the Edge team, you will help to build and develop many of the services and public APIs which interact directly with our web, mobile and CTV SDKs.
You will join a team of experienced engineers who own the process of building new product features and managing the whole development process, including design, coding, testing, deploying, and monitoring.
The Team and Technologies
The Edge team is responsible for distributing data processing and synchronising computation state across the billions of users that run our SDKs.
Our mission is to enable distributed, privacy-safe computation on the edge, without compromising the experience of the end-user, and we collaborate closely with other teams to enable them to build functionality on top of our edge platform. From a product perspective, we have a focus on enabling our customers to seamlessly integrate Permutive into their web, mobile and CTV applications.
Our core product offering is built on top of edge computing. In our context, this means we try to distribute computation to end-user devices where possible — so that decisions can be in real-time on-device as an end-user interacts with our customers' websites or mobile
We would love to hear from Software Engineers that have knowledge or an interest in working with some of the technologies we use:
- Scala: cats, cats-effect, fs2, http4s, circe, doobie
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes, Kafka, Bigtable, BigQuery, Beam, Postgres, Grafana, Terraform
You will be responsible for helping the team to build out new services and processing pipelines, and ultimately to drive business value to our customers.
The wider context
We’re 40+ engineers working to build an outstanding engineering culture so that everyone who joins has the opportunity and the support to do the best work of their life. Small, autonomous teams are important to us, and we want to empower everyone to make—and be accountable for—decisions through ownership.
Everything we build has to scale: our platform handles more requests each day than there are new tweets and Google searches, and each month we see more than a billion users. We think applying functional programming techniques like compositionality and type-safety is the best way to build the type of massive distributed system our platform comprises, allowing us to move fast without sacrificing quality.
The ideal candidate will have
- Understanding of functional programming and general software engineering concepts.
- Experience with Scala programming.
- Some experience with distributed systems with an understanding of when to use them.
- Excellent communication skills, in particular, when discussing technical concepts.
- Product awareness.
We'd be particularly excited if you have one or more of the below
- Familiarity with Apache Kafka or similar messaging system.
- Familiarity with functional Scala libraries, e.g. Cats or fs2.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes.
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS or GCP.
We take a structured, objective approach to salary-setting, which is based on market information, our compensation strategy, and your experience and capability as assessed through our interview process.
For a candidate with commercial experience working with Scala plus our requirements we would likely pay £80,000 + options.
For a candidate with commercial Scala experience, who meets several of our bonus criteria, we’d pay up to £105,000 + options.
- Stock options
- Parental Leave Policy entitling new parents up to 26 weeks of leave on full pay
- Everyone has an annual learning budget of £2,400 which we encourage you to use to level up
- Time to rest and relax with unlimited paid leave (minimum expectation of 25 days annually)
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme
- Automatic enrolment into our pension scheme from day one
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Permutive, we’re taking a thoughtful, intersectional, long-term approach to diversity, equity & inclusion. We care deeply about creating an inclusive work environment that allows everyone to flourish, and we are taking continual action to progress in that direction. If you would like to read an outline of efforts we have already made towards becoming a more inclusive company as well as insight into what we are actively working on, you can find that information here.
How we are responding to COVID-19
- We have a presence in London and New York. Permutive is a remote first company committed to working from home for all Permutive employees until early 2022. We have invested significant time and budget into ensuring that everyone is suitably equipped to manage this time period. Our guiding principle behind any decision we make will always be the health and well-being of our employees. In early 2022, we will continue to be a remote first company, and all employees will have optional access to in-person collaboration space in NYC and London.