Shopify is a leading global commerce company, providing trusted tools to start, grow, market, and manage a retail business of any size. Shopify makes commerce better for everyone with a platform and services that are engineered for reliability, while delivering a better shopping experience for consumers everywhere. Shopify powers millions of businesses in more than 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Allbirds, Gymshark, PepsiCo, Staples, and many more.
Shopify has a huge amount of unstructured data and billions of items; therefore, we are very excited by the mission of creating the best-in-class AI models by our data science and product teams. We’ll use our unique approach of combining domain experts with data scientists to expand our visual AI technologies.
An important part is to help grow Shopify’s innovation and AI hubs in Israel and EMEA by continuing to attract the best talents in AI, personalization, and design.
Interested in working on the biggest challenges in AI and shopping with the leader in commerce?That’s great! We’re looking for Staff Data Engineers to join our team, and maybe you’re the person we’re looking for!
- Leading engineering solutions for product recommendations engine using the billions of Shopify’s catalog’s products
- We are looking for a strong backend developer with experience handling data at scale, and ML knowledge
- Designing, architecting and developing tools, scripts and pipelines for serving and ingesting data at scale
- Optimize for performance and emphasize on observability
- Using test-driven development to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Hands-on experience in search/personalized recommendation/advertising or related fields
- Deep understanding of recommender system business, with specialization in one or multiple areas: ranking, reall, user profiling, content understanding
- Experience building highly scalable, performant data solutions (ETL/ELT/ML)
- Professional - not compromising on high quality code, keeps up to date with latest methodologies and solutions
- A strong foundation of design principles, especially when it relates to platform development in the areas of API, data modeling, and scale
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Passion for AI, Machine Learning and data at scale
- Experience with executing Machine Learning models is a plus
A Staff (Lead) Data Engineer would typically have 6-10 years of experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Experience with the internals of a distributed compute engine (Spark, Presto, DBT, or Flink/Beam)
- Experience in query optimization, resource allocation and management, and data lake performance (Presto, SQL)
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Experience with security products and methods (Apache Ranger, Apache Knox, OAuth, IAM, Kerberos)
- Experience deploying and scaling ML solutions using open-source frameworks (MLFlow, TFX, H2O, etc.)
- Experience building full-stack applications (Ruby/Rails, React, TypeScript)
- Background and practical experience in statistics and/or computational mathematics (Bayesian and Frequentist approaches, NumPy, PyMC3, etc.)
- Modern Big-Data storage technologies (Iceberg, Hudi, Delta)