Vehicle Systems Design Engineer
Multimatic Technical Centre Europe (MTCE) provides engineering and product development services to race teams and OEM’s around the world. It is Multimatic's Centre of Excellence for the ongoing design, development and implementation of DSSV® Damping Technology, and has established a strong relationship with key international Motorsports organizations. MTCE is also a leading contract engineering and vehicle development resource to major automotive OEMs and a growing number of niche vehicle manufacturers.
The Vehicle Systems Design Department at MTCE provides engineering development support services to OEM’s and a wide variety of outside customers. The products that are developed in the Vehicle Systems Department range from low-volume components to high performance road cars. Development of advanced lightweight structures, many utilising carbon fibre, is spearheaded by this department.
Facility Address: MTCE, Unit 1, Wyatt Way, Thetford, Norfolk IP24 1HJ England
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop optimised design solutions for industries including automotive, communications, motorsports, etc. Determine the best combination of materials and manufacturing processes taking into consideration production volume, performance requirements, and cost. Design work will be performed using either NX or CATIA CAD software. Throughout the development process the Vehicle Systems Design Engineer will have to work closely with other departments at MTCE (Analysis, Prototype, Composites, Testing, etc.), suppliers, and the Customer.
- Lead the design and development of new products delivering 3D CAD and 2D detail drawings suitable for manufacture
- Ensure that the Customer’s requirements, which include project timing, are understood and met
- Review all related supplier/customer/regulatory specifications and requirements for components
- Perform manual calculations and tolerance stacks as required
- Perform packaging and clearance/swing studies
- Review results/drawings to ensure that there are no errors
- Create reports and releases as required
- Consider alternative solutions for given tasks or problems
- Be cognizant of prototype builds and review progress with an eye for product improvement and potential build issues
- Determine when analysis and testing is required
- Compare the predicted and measured performance as data becomes available
- Conduct engineering and design reviews as required
- Keep supervisor informed of all program issues
- Maintain project folder and data
- Attend meetings, present results, and perform demonstrations as required
- Ensure that minutes are taken at all formal meetings
- Document/present information obtained from conferences and training courses as required
- Ensure good communication with other team members
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally
Education and Experience:
- University degree in a relevant engineering discipline (mechanical, mechatronics, or automotive engineering)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in concept development and detail design of a variety of body and vehicle systems with a solid background in GD&T
- Extensive experience designing lightweight components/structures
- Expert knowledge of CAD software (NX and CATIA are preferred)
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with all levels of employees/ stakeholders: customers, suppliers, engineers, etc...
- Demonstrated organisational skills and ability to independently manage workload
- Ability to thrive in a face-paced, team environment, able to adapt to find solutions and meet deadlines as design challenges arise
- Knowledge of high volume manufacturing methods; welding, stamping, forging, casting, injection molding, cold-forming, machining, etc.
- Able to create DFMEAs and have good knowledge of PFMEAs
- Familiarity with Quality procedures
- High level of interest in automotive engineering
- Body surfacing CAD experience is an asset
- Knowledge of carbon fibre component manufacturing techniques is an asset
- Hands-on build/fabrication skills are an asset