Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service have an exciting opportunity available in our Fire Safety Department for a Tier 2 Fire Investigator Technical Manager, assisting in leading and being part of the Services Fire Investigation Team. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
About the role:
You will be based at our Headquarters in Washington, Sunderland and work across the five local authority areas in Tyne and Wear. You will liaise with other Fire Services, Northumbria Police and the Local Authorities, developing working practices to meet ISO 17020 accreditation and implement arson reduction measure with our partners, as well as conducting Tier 2 investigations and supporting Operational frontline staff.
Applications are invited from individuals with experience of conducting Tier 2 fire investigations and have preferably worked with partner organisations to reduce occurrences of arson in the community.
This position will be fixed term for 12 months and will be reviewed in 2021 to potentially extend the period pending further funding for the post.
Eligibility and Application:
This role is open to individuals who have been previously employed by a Fire Service in a Tier 2 Fire Investigation role, as well as those who have worked in the commercial side of fire investigation or Police forensic teams for fire scene investigations.
Attendance on a practical fire investigation course by a recognised training provider is essential and preferably holds a qualification in fire investigation to the Skills for Justice Awards Level 2 or Level 5 Certification in Fire Investigation.
Where required, additional training courses and qualifications will be provided to the successful candidate following a training need analysis and personal development review.
The role of the Tier 2 Fire Investigator Technical Manager will cover:
• Delivery of Tier 2 Fire Investigations, predominately on a flexible day shift working arrangement.
• Liaison with Northumbria Police and CSI Unit to resolve incidents and determine the origin and cause of fire.
• Production of Fire Investigation and Fire Research reports for the Police, Coroner and Crown Prosecution Service.
• Evidence giving on cases in the Coroners, Magistrates and Crown Courts.
• Liaison with other fire investigators to provide support and advice at incidents.
• Contribution to the maintenance of a regional Tier 2 response in accordance with the memorandum of understanding.
• Assisting the presentation of Fire Investigation training to Tier 1 personnel within the Service.
• Maintenance of Tier 1 and 2 competence levels through CPD and associated study.
• Development of procedures and working practices to attain accreditation to ISO 17020 with our partners.
The individual will also require excellent written and oral communication skills and have the ability to plan, manage and prioritise workloads. A current full driving licence is essential, and a fleet vehicle will be provided for work related journeys.
We are looking for individuals with strong leadership and communication skills, who are able to lead, manage and develop others, and deliver the Service’s strategy through tactical plans.
With the potential to be an effective leader in the Fire Investigation team, the successful candidate will have an innovative approach to deliver plans across the Service to achieve positive results. With a strong focus on collaboration, you will have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to form positive working relationships and develop teams to improve performance
Fire Investigator Technical Manager and Arson Liaison Officer – Fixed term for 12 months, England
Company: Fixed term for 12 months
Published on Wednesday 3rd of March 2021