Parexel is in the business of improving the world’s health. We do this by providing a suite of biopharmaceutical services that help clients across the globe transform scientific discoveries into new treatments. From clinical trials to regulatory, consulting, and market access, our therapeutic, technical, and functional ability is underpinned by a deep conviction in what we do. We believe in our values; Patients First, Quality, Respect, Empowerment & Accountability.
This is an excellent opportunity for an advanced level graduate from a medical, life sciences, pharmacy discipline that is ideally a Postdoctoral Researcher looking to begin and develop a career in medical writing within the commercial medcoms industry.
This role can be based at either our UK Head Office situated in Uxbridge or our Medcom dedciated office situated in Littlehampton. The Uxbridge office is near to Uxbridge train station as well as the town centre and the building has plenty of free parking. The Littlehampton office is our main location of our Medcoms division. Both offices are fully open planned and have the feeling of working in an innovative and collaborative environment.
As the Scientific Writer you will have a good working knowledge of the organization’s service offerings and processes as well as developing high-quality scientific content by means of all necessary research, scientific writing, editing, and fact checking, to meet deadlines and work within project scope and objectives. You will apply this to all formats of MedCom’s communication outputs and services.
As the Scientific Writer you will also acquire and maintain effective understanding of relevant therapy areas, client products, and objectives and take ownership of assigned projects and resolve basic technical issues to ensure excellent project delivery. You will liaise effectively with client and external authors/opinion leaders during the lifecycle of assigned projects.
- Demonstrate sufficient understanding of department’s service offerings
- Be familiar and comply with all departmental procedures related to project delivery and tracking
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of client products and therapy areas on assigned accounts
- Be familiar with relevant industry guidelines (eg, Good Publications Practice), and apply these to assigned projects
Project Execution and Success
- Undertake writing and editing to develop high-quality scientific content
- Prioritize own work and manage project schedule to meet delivery deadlines
- Be familiar with and work within project scope (specification and budget hours) and objectives. Monitor project progress, scope changes, and own hours sufficient to flag variances to project manager and act accordingly
- Interpret scientific data accurately and appropriately
- Maintain familiarity with client objectives and messages and produce output consistent with these
- Undertake necessary research on topics relevant to assigned projects and maintain familiarity with available information sources
- Liaise with all opinion leaders/authors or other external parties in such a way as to foster strong and positive relationships and to ensure project success
- Proactively assess project needs and work to identify how these can be best met, to the benefit of client satisfaction and project profitability
- Identify technical and process issues and work with internal cross-functional teams, client, and/or external bodies to resolve them
- Be alert to opportunities to develop follow-on business
- Actively communicate and manage changes in project scope
- Basic computer and Internet skills including knowledge of MS applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Ability to acquire and apply specialized therapy area knowledge
- Ability to interpret and organize scientific data
- Ability to understand and implement marketing messages
- Scientific writing competency
- Proofreading and copyediting skills
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Strong customer focus.
- Ability to interact professionally within a client organization.
- Ability to prioritize work and define steps needed to achieve specified project outcomes.
- Ability to successfully manage assignments on time with high quality
- Willingness to undertake continuous professional learning and development
- Willingness to work in a matrix environment and to value the importance of teamwork
- Degree and a higher degree in Life Sciences, Pharmacy, or Medicine (BSc, BA) as a minimum.
- Higher degree in PharmD, PhD, MD is preferred .
- Proficient use of English language
- Previous Scientific writing work experience is preferred but not essential
- Previous medical communications agency experience is preferred but not essential
- Maintain high level of client satisfaction with all interactions and deliverables
- PHD graduates would be preferred but not essential.
In return we will be able to offer you a structured career pathway and development within the role including awareness and understanding of the industry. Your hard work will be rewarded with a competitive base salary, plus a bonus as well as a benefits package including 25 days holiday per year, a strong contributory pension scheme, life assurance, long term disability insurance, private medical and private dental cover as well as other leading-edge benefits that you would expect with a company of this type.
Apply today to begin your Parexel journey!
Why Work at Parexel
There are pivotal moments in every career: Sharing new treatments. Improving processes. Delivering life-saving advances. The people who succeed are the ones who make the journey go further and faster every time. What if you had a partner to support you as you reach the next level in your professional path? A partner who believes a collaborative environment is key to achieving your goals? A partner who is dedicated to your health and wellness so you can help make a difference in the lives of millions worldwide?
That’s Parexel. We’re a diverse team of professionals focused on one goal: getting treatments into the hands of those who need them most. Working together, the results we bring to our clients and the opportunities we bring to our team get better with every step.